Popular books for school starters
Help your child prepare for their first day of kindergarten or school with some popular books about starting school.
Here are some books that you can read to your child to give them an idea of what to expect on their first day.
Books for children starting school
- The Berenstain Bears go back to school by Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Hammie Goes to School by Cathie Whitmore (illustrated by Cathy McCulloch)
- Tom Goes to Kindergarten by Margaret Wild
- First Day by Margaret Wild (illustrated by Kim Gamble)
- Starting School by Jane Godwin (illustrated by Anna Walker)
- I Am Too Absolutely Small to Go to School by Lauren Child
Books with themes of building confidence and self-esteem
- You be you by Linda Kranz
- Invisible String by Patrice Karst
- Whoever you are by Mem Fox (illustrated by Leslie Staub)
Want to read more?
You can find suggestions for age-appropriate books for your child on the Premier’s Reading Challenge web page.
Information for parents
Reading to your child is important for developing language and literacy skills. Children starting schools with greater literacy skills perform better in school.
Source: the Education State